Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Coloring

 Last night, Ham and I were getting ready for bed and I realized he hadn't done his homework.

Apparently 3 year old Mother's Day Out programs have homework.

I can already tell that we are going to be those last minute, doing our  homework on the way to school people.

Oh well.

I grabbed some crayons and pencil and walked him through it.

I tell him to color the pictures that start with the same sound the letter A makes. He looks at me like I have four heads.

"The letter A makes the "Ahh" sound," I tell him. "Does baseball start with the "Ahh" sound?"

He shakes his head yes. I narrow my eyes on him and his nod turns into a no.

"What about alligator?"

He searches my eyes for the right answer. He nods yes.

This all feels a little much for a three year old.

"Well, let's color the alligator." He grabs a crayon and colors the alligator and the two inch space surrounding it.

And as he is coloring, I zone out for a minute and I blurt out that I don't like coloring. I mean really when I was a kid I couldn't stand it. But, I don't know why I'm telling him that.

"You don't like coloring?" He's shocked.

"No, not really," I admit.

"Why? Did your teacher scream at you?"

Memories come flooding back of my coloring days when the best  colorers were singled out in class. The teacher would marvel over their gloriously neat work and I would look at my scribble scratch coloring job that took me two seconds wondering who has time for all of that.

"No." (They just loaded us with guilt.)

"Did she tell you take your box out and you wouldn't listen?" he asks.

"No I just had a hard time coloring in the lines." (That's an understatement)
  
"Oh. You didn't like coloring and they told you to color?"

"Yes."

He thinks for a minute.

"You go to school and you listen." He tells me. He's pretty irritated that he has a mom that might not be doing what she is supposed to in school.

"You are right. I should have listened."

"Did they scream at you?" he asks again. Ham thinks that any kind of correction is "screaming".

"I guess they got mad when I didn't want to color."

"I'll talk to them for you." He says. "I'll tell them to be nice to my mommy."

"Thanks, Hammy."




No comments: