We loaded ourselves up and we planned a super long two week trip.
I found a place close enough to the beach that we could walk there, though we soon realized that it was much easier with two kids to drive.
We loaded up our car with everything we could possibly need: two fancy beach chairs, an spf 50+ beach tent, towels, an extremely large beach mat, suntan lotion, sandwiches, snacks, water, beers, pales, shovels, hats, umbrellas and two James Patterson books that we never read and still haven't.
Oh yes, and our kids.
By the time we arranged everything on the beach and took the 9 hundred trips to and from the car, we were maxed out.
I mean, Mr. Yardbird was maxed out.
Because let's be honest, I have to hold the baby. That's my job. By default. I can't hold a baby and get the umbrellas and ice chest. It tough work what I do.
"I don't know if I can do this everyday." Mr Yardbird said.
"Really? This is wonderful!" I said with the only thing I carried out there jumping and squealing in my lap.
"Did you notice the news crew over there." I said pointing down the beach. "What do you think that's about?"
"Probably the flesh eating bacteria," He replied. We chuckled nervously.
Because....We. Are. Hypochondriacs.
There I said it.
Mr. Yardbird and I take things to the next level when we suspect we have an illness or virus of some sort. It's one of the things that, as a team, we do best.We can't just have the flu. We have EBOLA.
Our kids can't have a heat rash, they have the first symptom of the GANGRENE.
It's what we are comfortable with. It's what we do. And we support each other's medical diagnoses.

So when we joked about the flesh eating bacteria news segment, we were half-joking.
Later that afternoon, we headed home and I prepared dinner for us while Mr. Yardbird entertained the kids. The t.v. was on and for some reason not tuned into a kids channel but instead the 5 'o clock news.
I was stirring up a pot of soup because that's all I ever cook and I glanced over at the t.v.
"Turn it up, there is that news anchor from earlier today!" I tell Mr. Yardbird.
He reaches for one of the remotes while juggling our two kids climbing over him.
"....still a major concern for the flesh eating bacteria in areas along the Gulf Coast. In the past several years, there have been several cases reported. That hasn't stopped people from enjoying the beach though..."
And the camera pans out to a lovely family enjoying the beach.
OUR FAMILY.
Ham is shoveling sand and Hattie is happily bouncing in my lap.
I stopped stirring and glance over at Mr. Yardbird who is frozen.
"Do you think we have it?"

No comments:
Post a Comment