We decided there was really no time for a truck wash at the moment and continued our trek through the hospital.
Walking down the empty corridors of the hospital and in between contractions, I asked your dad to tell me any of his stories.
"Tell me one of your stories, Mr. Yardbird."
"You know just about all of them." He said.
My contractions were growing stronger and every few minutes I had to grip the wall or your daddy's arm for support until they passed. I needed something to get my mind off of it. Something to lighten the mood a bit.
"I don't care. I need a distraction.... I don't care if I've heard it before." I said.
Ham, we've been together for a while, almost six years, and because of this we knew just about every story about each other. The good thing about your dad and I is that even though we know we've heard a story before, we act like it's the first time. There's something really nice about revisiting your old stories and something even better about knowing that someone else wants to hear them.
So your dad started one for me and when he finished it up. I gave him a look like, "Okay and another one, please." We traveled back in time to the days before your daddy and me. To times when we were a lot younger, a little more reckless, when we were just leaves in the wind. And every time he got to an exciting part he would rev up his nose with his hand like he was trying to jump start an engine. You know what I mean.
We revisited our high schools days and we talked about our college ones too. And eventually we got to the part about us.
We laughed at how far we had come from where it all started and we smiled because we never imagined it would end up here walking around an empty hospital waiting on you, Hammy. God has a funny way of making things happen.
We circled around the hospital, up and down the stairs and through the hallways. We paused when the pain was too great and we continued when it subsided.
And before we knew it, two hours had passed. It was time to go back up to the triage to see how far we had gotten.
"Do you think we are where we need to be?" I asked your dad.
"Do you?"
"I don't know. I sure hope so," I said.
Honestly, I couldn't see how walking around the hospital could make things progress any further than they had already. Turns out I was wrong about that.
Just to be sure, I had one last brilliant idea that I just knew would seal the deal.
No comments:
Post a Comment