One day little Ham is going to ask me about the day he was born.
And because I don't see that happening anytime soon and because I'm almost certain I will forget all the little details, I decided I would put the story out there in digital world to be saved for when the time comes. I can wave my hand in the air and grab that story via technological air file. Because that's how far in the future I see this question coming up and that's how far I guess we will have come with technology.
So here it goes:
Little Ham, (even if you are big when I tell you this, you will be my little ham. Period.)
It went something like this.
The day you born was unlike any other day. I wasn't working, which was real unusual for me. I decided to take my maternity leave early because my due date was just a few days before and you still hadn't shown up yet.
So there I was on that blissfully workfree Wednesday and I decided why not fill it with all the things I've been meaning to get done. Because in my mind you weren't coming till Thursday (one of my predictions) and that meant I had a whole day to take advantage of. What I decided to do was to go observe two elementary schools in the same morning. Because have I mentioned I was working on getting certified to teach?
Yes Little Ham. I was. Right after I got pregnant with you, that's what I decided to do. So because I'm a silly mom, I thought I could take two really hard education courses and still give birth to you. No problem. Well it worked out just fine, but sure wasn't the easiest thing I've done.
Anyway I went to my first school to observe your mom's friend Ms. Kristie teaching her first grade class. Ms. Kristie knew that I was having Braxton Hicks contractions and that they were happening since the six month. I asked her, "Ms. Kristie, how will I know when I'm in labor?" And she said, "For me, I had pain with those contractions." And I breathed a huge sigh of relief because no pain for this girl. I had a whole other school to observe that day.....oh and a hair appointment too. I wasn't really ready for you yet.
So off to the next school I went. At this school I had to cram my over nine month pregnant body onto a chair meant for a 6 year old. Hammy, you can only imagine what that most have looked like. It was tough, plus with all the contractions, it was almost too much for your mom to bear, but I took it in stride. And just as I was going to give myself a pat on the back for doing so well, I noticed some of the 6 year olds were whispering and pointing at me. Kids can be so mean, little Ham.
Finally one of them walked over to me. She poked me in the arm. "Hey you," she said. She had a real serious look on her face. Like whatever she was going to tell me was real important and I had better listen up. "I'm just going to tell you that the other kids over there..." she glances over her shoulder. "...they're saying some bad stuff about you." and then she looks down at my belly and the little gang of six year olds across the room start giggling. Don't take offense, Ham. I think it was more about me and the way I looked at nine months perched up on a that tiny chair than it had anything to do with you.
Mean kids.
After I left that school I headed to my hair appointment. It had been months and I mean months since I had it cut. I had to beg my hair dresser to squeeze me in. I told her I just had to be groomed before I went into labor, which could be well....any minute, really. So nice as she was, she agreed to see me.
While I was getting my hair cut, I chit chatted with all the women there about how I was excited, how after this haircut -- bring on the baby!, and how I was having so many contractions - heck I could be in labor now and I didn't even know it. That's what I told them and you know what Ham?
I was.
I'll continue this tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment