So where were we?
Ah yes, I had just gotten a super cute haircut and I was good to go for the big moment when you would make your grand entrance into this world.
I was on my way home and feeling much better about everything. You see, Ham, a girl just doesn't feel right when her hair isn't fixed nice for a special occasion.
When I got home, guess who was standing in the doorway?
Your daddy.
He was home from work for a few minutes and he wasn't too happy with me.
As I walked up to the door he stood there shaking his head. “Mrs. Yardbird, when are you ever going to get some rest.”
Ham, I just rolled my eyes. You, men don't understand anything about women and their hair.
Your daddy told me to get in the bed. No questions asked. “You need sleep.” he said. “How do you expect to stay awake when Henry's ready to get out if you haven't even rested at all.”
And you know what. He was right. I was really, really tired. So I didn't put up any fuss and at one o'clock that day I put myself to bed and I slept all the way until five.
At five o'clock, your daddy came back home. I assured him that I had indeed rested and that I had big plans to make him some potato soup. One of his favorite meals.
As I fixed supper, I thought about you and wondered if you liked potato soup and if you liked my cooking too and if that's why you had no intentions of coming out of there.
Your daddy and I met on the back deck to sit in the shade and enjoy our soup while we talked about our day.
Ms. Sandy our neighbor poked her head over the fence and said in her thick New Orleans accent, “Girl, you hadn't had dat baby yet?”
Ham, even if it was clear that I hadn't given birth to you yet, even if my belly was the size of planet Jupiter, people were still going to ask me if I had my baby yet, because when a woman is nine + months pregnant that's all anyone wants to talk about. I was beginning to feel like a ticking time bomb and you were the explosion.
“No, he still in there.” I yelled over to her. “We don't know when he's going to decide to show up.” We laughed that it could be tonight. Ms. Sandy laughed because she said we looked so calm sitting there eating our potato soup with all that was just about to happen.
You know what, Ham, we were calm. But in a few short hours all that would change.
To Be Continued.....
To read Part 1 -Click Here
To Be Continued.....
To read Part 1 -Click Here

No comments:
Post a Comment