Several months before summer started, I had high hopes for a garden with all of the fixings. I wanted herbs. I wanted spices and I wanted flowers. What is it about plants that just make me so happy?
I feel like they are my pets. Or my kids. Since I don't have any. I have Murphy. But I don't think she thinks I own her, it's more like she owns me, so that doesn't really count. I guess.
I want to mark my plants height. And that's weird. But they just grow up so fast.
I squeal with delight when they make tomatoes or they make cucumbers. I fuss at them when they try to overcrowd each other. (even weirder)
My mint doesn't want to share a pot with my parsley and my cilantro.
My cucumbers are trying to kill my tomatoes and vice versa. The tendrils of the cucumber wrap around every stem of my tomato plant and try to choke the very life out of it. My defensive tomato plant tries to block the cucumber's sun.
Can't they all just get along?
Sheesh.
You think I'm weird? My husband is too. Thank God.
He loves our garden just as much as I do. It's all we talk about.
(Not really.) Okay maybe really.
Everyday I come home from work, he's watering the garden. That's his job.
Me?
I sit on the deck and get the update on our plants. I don't sit long because I need to check it out for myself.
"How many tomatos do we have now?" I ask. I don't want to sound like it really matters to me that my tomato plants succeeds in life. But it does.
You see for all the height it has, its just not producing like it should. Like it's a C student when it has such potential to be an A student.
Jason thinks it would have done better if we had made more room for it. Maybe seperated it from the Cucumber plant? Don't even get me started on the Cucumber plant.
It's taking over the yard. Like it owns the whole garden. It's just not statisfied with the room we gave it. It crawls halfway under our house and I won't be surpised if it makes its way entirely to the front of the house and takes over the garden there. It's a bad influence on my poor tomato plant.
Tsk. Tsk.
And for all of its crazy growing skills, it doesn't make cucumbers. Or at least it didn't until yesterday when I stepped on a giant cucumber with my bare feet and screamed.My friend Elizabeth who was with me, screamed when I screamed. And when my eyes shot down to my feet, I saw it. A gigantic cucumber.
I beamed with pride.
My cucumber. A real one.
Why can't my tomato plant get with the program?
Maybe it could learn a little something from the cucumber.
Maybe it could learn a little something from the cucumber.
And like a bunch of crazy people, Elizabeth and I proceeded to lifted up every cucumber leaf, in search for more.
"Look at that one!" *Scream*
"OMG, this one!!!" *Laughter*
"Take my picture with it!!"
I couldn't wait to call Jason.
And just like that. I picked up the phone to tell Jason the good news. There is hope. There are cucumbers. Yes, they must have grown over night, but they are here and they are big. We laughed and we marveled over our plant. "We should frame it." I almost said. But I didn't.
Thank God.
Who frames a cucumber?
Me. I would. Because I'm so proud.
And because I'm so proud, I'm going to leave you with these pictures.
This is the cucumber I stepped on, screamed, and then hugged it.
Chives in one pot, Mint, Parsley, and Oregano in another, and Thyme, Basal, and 'I can't remember what the other spice is' in another pot.
Preparing for a vegetable garden. So much exitement, we can hardly stand it. :)
Wait a minute......



5 comments:
This just made me home sick! Love you
Holy Cow!! A comment!!!! Wahoo!!!
I think it's cilantro in the other pot (remember, you bought it on your b-day)... Your garden is BEEAAUUTIFUL! -keever
Thanks Keever!!!! How's your garden doing? I'm not going to Houston. Let's hang out!! Wahoo!
I have an absolutely BLACK thumb. I kill any plant I touch, and I dream of stepping on a giant cucumber.
That sounds like a euphemism, but I swear, it isn't... I swear.
This made me giggle aloud about three times. Great post!
Post a Comment