Saturday, January 30, 2010

Wolverine's girlfriend, Barbie

I'm writing this post in celebration of my brother, Jason's birthday. Today, he's turning 28 which means I'm not far from turning.....27. Jason and I were born fourteen months apart. So when he was five months old my mom discovered she was pregnant with me. Can you imagine!

In honor of his birthday I will tell you one of my favorite memories about us growing up.

____________________________________________________________________

When Jason and I were kids we could play for hours and hours with our toys.

Jason's toys- X Men

Carrie's toys- Barbies

I had millions of Barbies but unfortunately only one Ken. And one New Kids on the Block, Joey Macintire doll.

(I was horrified by the New Kids on the Block doll, I can't remember which one, whose hair was all plastic except for the rat tail in the back which was more like Barbie's hair. Yikes!) My Barbies weren't interested in those New Kids so fortunately I got Joey who was more clean cut and all American. Just Barbie's kind of guy.

Mostly my Barbies dated Joey because his arms were bent like Barbies and it was alot easier for them to dance or walk arm in arm. Ken was a lost cause with his straight arms that rested on Barbie's shoulders. It was nothing personal, its just that life was easier with a man with bent arms than it was with those straight armed fellows. Most the time Ken doll stayed in his tuxedo suit he came in and sat at home in my 3 story Barbie mansion while my Barbie dolls ran around town in the Barbie Ferrari with Joey.

That is until the X men came to town.

When the X-Men came to town, things were different.

There were more men in town. I guess Barbie was getting tired of Joey and his stupid red letterman jacket.

When the X-Men came to town, it just meant there were more men to choose from. Who cares if they were half her size?

They were impressive.

Alot more impressive than Joe.

Wolverine had claws on his hands. Gambit could throw cards that exploded. Cyclops had the nice sunglasses. Not designer, but Barbie didn't care.

What was Joe good for?

Singing. Oh. right. A boy band.

When the X-Men came to town all Barbie thought about was dinner dates with Wolverine.

But I can tell you that that was the farthest thing from Wolverine's mind.

He was fighting battles of course, that Barbie could see from the 3rd story of her Barbie Mansion.

Barbie needed to scheme her own plan of attack.

Hopping in her Ferrari she sped over to the scene of an X Men battle.

While the battle was going there, came a moment when Wolverine was finally on his own. Barbie attacked. Like a eagle swooping down for its prey, she raced her car over and threw Wolverine in the passenger seat and floored it. Wolverine didn't stand a chance. Even his adamantium claws were no match. Not even Professor Xavier could have seen it coming.

As Barbie sped off she was happy she had wolverine all to herself. She started telling Wolverine all about their date that she planned. :) Wolverine didn't have much to say, in fact he said nothing at all. That didn't matter much to Barbie who was quite the talker......

"CARRIE!!! Where IS MY WOLVERINE!!?" Jason barks from across the room. He's been consumed with X-Men battles and has finally noticed his absence.

I turn around slowly to Jason, my hand still on the Barbie Ferrari, strategically blocking my brother's view from the inside of the my Barbie mobile.

"I haven't seen him" I lie. This could ruin everything for Barbie.

He doesn't trust me. He rolls his eyes and He walks over to me. He glances down at my Barbie car. I glance sheepishly up at him.

"What are you doing!" He snatches Wolverine out of the car and takes him back over to the battles on the other side of the room.

I sigh.

Barbie puts the car in gear and heads back to the Barbie house, back to bent arms Joey and straight arms Ken.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

This just totally made me laugh out loud! And I definitely remember the straight arms/bent arms argument! :)

Carrie said...

Ha! Thanks! I was almost worried that no one would know what I was talking about. :)