One of the first things my husband asked me after labor and things had finally settled down was if I had lost my sense of humor.
"Well did you?" he stood there smiling.
"What ever do you mean, sweet dearest husband?" I said glowing.
Okay scratch that. Here's my real response.
Imagine the look on my face. I mean after labor and the crazy things that went with it, to be asked this question. There was a "Seriously?" followed by a sharp stare, followed by a don't ever ask me that again. Period.
It wasn't the first time he brought it up. He brought it up a few weeks before.
"I read somewhere that women lose their sense of humor after they have a baby."
"Really?" I said. "That's weird. I bet that won't happen to me."
Most of our pre-baby conversations started off like this. My husband reads everything. He likes to know everything about everything. Me, on the other hand, I read some things here and there. Our conversations usually went something like this....
While loading the dishwasher
BB: Did you know that babies are born knowing how to walk?
Me: Really?....huh.
Followed by a full scientific explanation. Then followed up even more with some scientific netflix movie on babies. (that was, might I add....incredibly boring.) ((We also forced BBs parents to watch this and I'm incredibly embarrassed about this))
On the way to the Mexican restaurant to satisfy one of the many cravings
Me: Did you know babies are born knowing how to differentiate between languages?
BB: Really? Did you know that babies can recognize their parents' voices when they are born?
* Followed by a week long email correspondence of every article either one of us could find on this.
While shopping in the grocery store
BB: Did you know that babies can do math?
Me: What kind of math?
BB: Like Addition and Subtraction.
Me: Huh. (At that moment, I imagined our little peanut adding on his fingers the moment he got out of the womb and it worried me.)
So when my husband asked me if I lost my sense of humor I started to really wonder because there was no telling what scientific journal, netflix movie, or online journal article told him I would.
Did I?
I was starting to wonder.
In the first few weeks I was home one of my good friends came over to visit.
"You must have so many funny things to say about this (referencing my new motherhood). Your blog posts will be so funny."
Chuckling, I agreed with her. But really, the wheels were turning...... funny? am I funny anymore? are any of the sleepless nights funny? projectile baby vomit, spilling my coffee on myself, pee shooting in my face.. funny?
And I didn't want to tell her there were many nights I started to write a post but I just couldn't. Sleepless nights will do that to you. Plus what will I say, I have nothing funny to write about.
But then something great happened....I started getting some sleep.
Not a whole lot. But enough to where I didn't feel like jumping in my car and heading for the hills.
And something else happened too. Ham started smiling. (That's what I call him) and with each little smile I realized that I was starting to smile more too. This isn't so hard. I can do this. Pee in the face is funny. Projectile baby vomit is a hoot. Unless on your face, then maybe not.
And slowly but surely the initial shock of motherhood wore off and I was, well, me again.
So to answer my husband's question, Did I lose my Sense of Humor?
Nope, it's still there. Just took a pause for a minute and it's back on track. More on this later.



No comments:
Post a Comment