Ham and I went for our walk today. It's been so hot outside so I have been getting him ready for bed with pjs on and then loading him up in the stroller to make the rounds while the sun goes done.
That's the only time when it's actually cool enough outside that you almost forget that it was 100 degrees just a little while ago.
So as we normally do, we cut around the corner to our favorite tree. The last time we checked it out - all of the flowers and most of the leaves were gone leaving only the pea-pods dangling in the wind.
This time it was packed full of life with flappy green elephant ear leaves.
Ham and I strolled underneath it and I pulled some of the branches down to tickle him in the face. Then I noticed that there were tiny versions of the big elephant ear leaves on the ground and I stooped down to grab one. But when I went to pull it up to me, I realized that it was attached to the gound and what I held was a tiny version of my favorite tree.
At the bottom of this tree maquette was one of the pea pod seeds from a few months ago that had snapped in half to start the growth process.
I was in awe.

And then I got the bright idea that maybe, just maybe, I could grow my own favorite tree. I say favorite tree, because I still have no clue what kind of tree it is.
So I held on to it and Ham and I continued on our walk. Past all the stray cats enjoying their meal time, around the old church as the church bells rang and under the oak trees.
And before long, I remembered how hot it was and it was time to head back.
So Ham and I headed home and I found a pot that would suit this tiny tree for now.
And I planted it.
Maybe.

Who knows.
What I do know is that my other favorite plant, my discount hydrangea that never bloomed for three years, well it surprised me this year.
Guess it's time to take on another plant.


No comments:
Post a Comment