Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Day You Were Born - Part 10 - Our Sidekick

So we were standing there, Hammy, thinking it was time to go back up to the baby birthing room and wondering if there was anything else we could do to get this going.

And then I remembered.

I couldn't remember where I saw it. Maybe I read it somewhere?

Who knows.

I looked at your dad and I said, "Hammy's Daddy, we need to get on the elevator."

"To go back to the triage?"

"No." I said. "To jump."

Your dad is such a good sport, Ham. You know why? Because even if your dad thought the idea was preposterous, he would never tell me that.

Instead your dad supported my arm as I wobbled my tired big body to the elevator.

"I don't remember if I saw this, or if I read it...." I rambled on "but I think some couple said they took the elevator to the highest floor and when they came back down, she jumped as high as she could. I think....I think it helped the baby get into position."

Your poor dad. He just smiled and nodded. Sure Mrs. Yardbird, sure.

I pushed the elevator button and up we went. And then I pressed the hospital lobby button and braced myself for a jump like no other. I guess in my mind, my body would miracously lift itself off of the ground like a basketball player's slam dunk and I would slam back down to the earth with such force the Earth would crack.

It doesn't work like that when you're pregnant.

Nope.... a little bitty hop was all I could muster.

Should we try it again?

No, Ham. Time was up.

It was time to go back.

After a long night of random adventures, your dad and I were ready to call it a night. It was morning time anyway.

It was your big day.

And as your dad and I made our way back, I replayed in my mind all the events that had transpired in the last 24 hours.

I thought about those kids I had gone to observe for school and that tiny chair that I had to sit on. I even thought about the kids that whispered behind my back and the one who confirmed I was indeed being bad mouthed.

And I smiled a little because it was funny.

I thought about how I managed to squeeze in a haircut while I was blissfully unaware that I was in labor.

And I smiled because that's something that would happen to me.

I thought about that potato soup your dad and I ate so calmly on the back porch, that horroble B Movie, Moon, your dad was watching and how I recorded my contractions in a word document. That is still saved on my computer to this day.

Ham, I even thought about that how I demanded to have McDonalds only to not be able to eat it and then have your dad run over it, over and over again with his truck in the parking lot.

And I shook my head, because your dad is so weird, sometimes. But he is ours, so I guess you and I will keep him.

And all those things made me realize that it was the perfect end to a great adventure with just me and your dad.

Your dad and I had been a great team.

Ham, it was time to move over and make room for one more sidekick in the Batmobile.

A sidekick we like to call Hammer.

And just a few short hours later, your proud daddy held you up in the air so I could see you. So I could catch a glimpse of the little guy who I was certain loved powdered doughnuts, kicking me in the ribs, and Jack Johnson songs. And at that moment a new adventure began for all three of us.

And of course no new adventure is complete without  a sparkling freshly cleaned truck, courtesy of your father who loves you a whole lot.


The End.

1 comment:

Kristina Miller said...

Carrie, thank you so much for sharing this sweet story with all of us. You're a great writer - I felt like I was there with you the whole time I was reading! I hope I get to see you again one of these days and meet Mr. Yardbird and little Ham. I love you!