Sunday, February 19, 2012

Tangled

This week I'm getting really sentimental. I'm sorry.

As I sit here cutting out felt triangles for Ham's Tangled-themed party, I feel a little sad thinking about what this movie has meant to us this year.

I hadn't even really heard of it until I was watching my friends's little girl when Ham was only three months old. We had just finished washing my car outside with Ham on the porch in his swing. It was the only exciting thing I could think to do with my friend's then three year old. Three year olds are unchartered territory for me. She was not as interested as I thought.

We went inside and I flipped through the movies on Instant Netflix. "Tangled!" she screamed. "I want to watch Tangled!" I shrugged my shoulders and I let her watch tangled while I loaded the dishwasher. Every now and then I peeked at the screen and thought that Disney movies just weren't what they used to be when I was growing up. I didn't even give it a chance.

When Ham was 7 months old he was just beginning to stand up. I was flipping through our Netflix Instant Que trying to find something that had music that Henry could listen to while he played. I was trying to find something that didn't involve a purple dinosoar or highschool kids singing in hall ways. Yes, I went there. Poor Ham.

Then I remembered that Tangled had music to it, so I turned it on.

And the minute that little Mickey Mouse startled whistling in the intro, it was over.

Hammy who was grasping onto the coffee table was now nails dug into my legs grasping onto me. He was smiling his big toothless smile and he was swaying to Rapunzel's intro song.

And as time went on different parts of the movie fascinated him. Sometimes he would laugh out loud at Pascal or he would be enthralled with Flynn Ryder's battle with Maximus the horse.

Sometimes he wanted a better view of the movie. He would crawl on over to me, tug on my pajama pants and I'd scoop him up into my arms and I would lean back into the sofa wrapping my arms tight around him. I would take a big deep breath of his lavender scented baby hair and hope that smell never goes away. But I know one day it will.

As I know one day he will be too big for me to scoop up in my arms. His little fat fingers won't just barely wrap around one of mine. And one day Tangled won't be his favorite movie anymore. He'll like Star Wars or Indiana Jones. He'll be too cool for mom.

But for right now he still likes it. For now, it's still our thing.

No comments: