Friday, February 17, 2012

Goodbye Bottles

I have to postpone the "How I Met Mr. Yardbird" story for a moment, but I'll finish it as soon as I can get back on that train of thought. I hate doing that, but I've been so busy with school and first birthdays, with transitions that I may have to come back to that one after a few other posts.

Today I was busy getting the house together for Ham's first birthday. I rushed over to Wal-Mart because it was the one place I knew I could get everything I needed in one place otherwise I would need to go to Lowe's and Petco and I had a feeling that too many stops might test Ham's normally pleasant disposition.

At Wal-Mart I rushed through isle after isle. Ham is at a point where he can see toys and he wants toys. With a pointer finger that's always pointing, he can be very clear about which toy it is that he wants. I kicked the gorcery cart in high gear and stayed focused on the mission. Poor Ham's eyes could barely adjust on any one thing on the shelves.

Just as I was leaving I grabbed some Febreze Air Apple Spice Delight because I thought it would be nice to get the house smelling more like delight and less like a diaper geanie and dried green beans stuck to the floor and we headed home with all items checked off of my list.

After I watched one of the top five most depressing, but truthfully good movie "One Day", I wiped my tears away and went back to cleaning the house. I decided it was time to put Ham's bottles away. Now was a better time than any other with the mood "One Day" had left me in. I had been putting off putting away Ham's bottles because the truth is I didn't want to admit he didn't need them anymore, because that's the same thing as saying he's too big for them. And if I was going to put them away I might as well put up the bottle warmer and oh yes, the bottle stand where you hang the bottles to dry. I tried to cheer myself up by reminding myself of all the new counter space I would have now.

As I was putting them up I caught the smell of the Febreze Air Apple Spice Delight wafting down the hall. That combined with me putting bottles in a bag made me have a strange sense of deja vu.

And then I realized it. The last time I bought that particular fabreze scent was right before I had Ham and with that aroma filling up our house I was busy unloading and boilings bottles and setting up bottle warmers and stands on my counters. I was saying goodbye to the counter space and wondering if I would ever get it back.

And now here I was getting my counter space back and thinking counter space isn't all it's cracked up to be without a bottle warmer and bottle stand anyway.

No comments: