Friday, March 16, 2012

How I Met Mr. Yardbird - Part 6

Dear 18+ year old Hammy,

It would have been the worst time for your dad to show up. I was a mess, running around, taking orders, trying to keep my cool with this very demanding table of a million obnoxious people.

My hair was now in a pony tail, my makeup was not what it should have been and the only thing I had going for me was that I didn't look half bad in my work polo, pink pleated skirt and pink kangeroo tennis shoes.

I know what you are thinking, sheesh mom, really? Did I need to know that? Well Ham that outfit is something your dad still talks about to this very day. And if you don't think outfits are important, just ask your Pops what Maw Maw was wearing on thier first blind-date.

My friend who was working with me that night was kind enough to take all of the other tables in my section. And that was really nice of her because I was so busy with the big table that I couldn't tell you who came in or was sitting where in my section.

I was so busy I didn't even notice your dad walked in with his friends and sat right smack dab at one of my tables which was of course next to the chaotic mess of a table I was dealing with.

As the night went on, I finally caught a break from my table. Even though my friend was waiting on my tables, I still felt like I should go around and see how everyone was doing. Like I should explain myself for not waiting on them, even though I'm sure they had no idea or wouldn't have cared either way.

I ran over to one table, smiled and chit-chatted about how busy it was that night and were they doing all right, yada yada yada...

And then I bounced over to the next table of four guys. They were sitting at one of the tables near the windows and I seemed to feel like I had interrupted some sort of debate about something. They all glanced up at me in my nervous state and I quickly started asking them how they were doing, could I get them anything, and I smiled as I made eye contact with each one.

And just as I was about to leave the table, because they all said they were doing fine, didn't need anything, I made eye contact with the last person at the table, sitting right next to me on my left.

It was your dad, Ham.

He smiled at me and I said......"Oh my Gosh!?! HEY!"

It was so embarrassing. It was over the top, it was full of excitement, it was too revealing.

I said 'oh my gosh, hey' like I was seeing my long lost friend. Like I knew this person my whole life and fancy seeing them here.

Oh, brother.

My face turned beet red. And Mr. Yardbird and his friends sort of chuckled a little bit.

And I fled the scene, without saying anything more.

I went back to work and thought, thank God, my friend is waiting on them, because I can't afford to embarrass myself again.

But you know what, Ham, I changed my mind about that.




No comments: