I'm a stay at home mom.
This doesn't mean I watch Ellen or Judge Judy or Price is Right.
I don't make bon bons. I don't eat bon bons.
I don't sit on the sofa. And ninety percent of the time I have not seen my remotes in days. I blame Hammy.
I have my good days and I have my real bad days. Just like everybody else.
And I have my shining moments too.
A few days ago I had a pretty rough morning.
I had been up until three working on school work. In fact, I had been up for most of the past two weeks doing that. I gave up trying to do it when Ham was awake.
And my Kuerig was broken. As it has been for two weeks.
To top it off, my son who has had no teeth for 12 months is now getting all of his teeth.....at the same time. All of them. And they refuse to surface, just the swollen buds of purplish gums is all that I can see and half of a tooth. The same half of a tooth I have been seeing for the past month.
All this causes my son to whine over and over again. It sounds like nails on a chalkboard. And it would be horrible except that in between these whining "my teeth hurt" fits he shots me a devilish smile.
But this morning it was whine after whine and no smiles. I tried everything to get his mind off of it but it was no use. I was tired, I was cranky and all I wanted to do was whine.
Finally it was nap time. I was elated. I finally got Ham to bed and I thought finally I can relax. Catch up on more schoolwork, load the dishwasher.
And thirty minutes into it, I heard the distinct sound of a man yelling at the top of his lungs.
I stood still for a moment and listened. Sure enough I was right.
My neighbor was having some work done on her roof and it sounded like one of the guys was furious with the other guy for something he had done incorrectly on the roof.
After five minutes of constant screaming I started to worry that he would wake Ham. After a few more minutes, that worry turned into anger. If he woke Ham than I would have a teething TIRED baby. And that's the worst.
Then I did something I'm embarrassed about. I threw my shoes on and I went out the door. I walked around the house and I walked right up to two guys on ladders. One of them was still screaming.
And I said. "Listen to Me!" The both turned to me surprised. "My son's in there" I motioned to the house. "I don't know what you are arguing about. I don't know what you are screaming about. But let me tell you something, if you wake my son up, I'm going to be mad. And you don't want to see me mad." They looked at me with mouths hanging open. They nodded in unison. "Thanks." and I waved as I left.
I didn't hear a peep from them for the rest of the day. But one of the guys came over and thanked me and told me that what I said needed to be said which made me feel a little less crazy.
The truth of the matter is you just can't interfere with a mom and nap time.
No comments:
Post a Comment