Sunday, August 12, 2012

Who do you think you are?

Today I got to go to church by myself.

It was amazing. I was able to sit back, enjoy the music, pray, and  catch everything that God was trying to tell me.

All without having to redirect a toddler, apologize to the surrounding parishioners, and without having to think of new ways to keep my son peaceful.

I love my Hammy but he is not ready for church yet.

I sort of accepted it, last week when he went and sat with another family for the entire mass. And though they were good sports about it, he did, in fact, eat every bit of their kids snacks and nearly break their toys. I thought it might be best to try this a little later on.

Nevertheless, this week I sat alone and though I thought of the little guy often, I enjoyed some me and God  time.

And as we went through the Gospel and the priest's homily. I sort of had the feeling this Gospel was really something that I needed to hear.

It was John 6:41-51.

You know the one - where Jesus has been preaching to the people from his village for a while and he finally tells them that He is the Son of God and his friends said something like "Whoa, wait a minute....Who do you think you are?...You are the son of Joseph!". Everything up until that moment is going great and then Jesus decides to challenge their thinking with this idea. And He basically  says "Accept this from now on". But it was really hard for them, because they were so used to how things were.

This is what our priest talked about - how hard it is for us to accept God's challenges.

And I sat there and I thought about how many times, while driving in my car and thinking about the challenges that God doles out to me, do I say "Whoa, wait a minute....Who do You think you are?....Don't You think we have enough going on, enough to think about?"

I'm not talking about spilt milk or dropping an egg carton on the floor. I'm talking about the bigger things, the things you don't have control over.

But the priest said something that really struck me. He said, "If you don't learn to accept the challenge and stop trying to hold on to the way things were, you will never receive all the graces God wants you to because of it."

It's pretty weighty.

But I look at all the good things that have come out of those challenges. New friendships and ones that maybe I needed to be let go of. More time with loved ones and learning how to swallow my pride and accept help when its needed. And maybe I understand a little bit better the why.

Maybe things that seemed obviously bad where actually the setup for something really good.

So I drove home and I told God, I do know who He is, maybe not exactly what He's doing. But I think I have a rough idea of where He is going with this. And well, maybe He should scratch some of the things that I said before.

I like to think He did, since He's so forgiving and all.

No comments: