Thursday, October 18, 2012

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jig

This past weekend we took a roadtrip to visit Mr. Yardbird's family. It was a welcomed relief after all the hard work that went into getting back into our family routine with Mr. Yardbird coming home after ten long, really long, months.

We have a lot to get used to.

One being the house wasn't as tidy as Mr. Yardbird remembered it. Welcome to the life of a tornado toddler. Somehow when he visited the house was always spotless, well that's because a little help from my mom allowed me enough time to clean it and if I timed it just right, Mr. Yardbird would walk through the door in the most perfectly clean, not a toy to kick over or trip over moment.

The next thing being that I couldn't locate Ham's beloved hair brush. Apparently, brushing Ham's hair is important male bonding time and I somehow misplaced it for I don't know how long. The appalled look of Mr. Y's face when I said I never really brush Ham's hair (ever) tells me he should have been the one home and I should have been the one away.

And of course, there was the getting used to someone always being there when I normally sat in silence. Yes, I used to work on my lesson plans  on the sofa on Sunday in peace with the faint sound of the game on the lowest volume it could go and I could still hear it. Now, it's loud enough for Ham sleeping self to hear it down the hall and of course, I get the play by play from across the couch. But I don't mind it because I sort of missed the play by play even if it causes me to forget what "the students will do..." or what "the teacher will say...". Who doesn't want to know that Tony Romo sucks this year?

And for Mr. Yardbird, there were things to get used to as well. Like having someone to watch tv shows with at night. Even if that someone can't decide if she is still hungry or not and insists on eating ramen noodles at ten o'clock at night while we watch a tv show on our laptop. And it doesn't seem like such a bad thing to get used to except that I accidently lost grip of that boiling hot ramen noodle bowl and set us both screaming across the room with burned arms and legs and million mushy ramen noodles splattered on everything possible. I can't help it that I'm hungry a lot. But now that he's home, he'll get used to that again.

Just like he'll get used to doing the man things around the house, like trimming up the already trimmed bushes outside and then convincing me that he could do a much better job if  we bought him a hatchet. What in the world is a hatchet? And last I checked we have a guy that comes out to do that stuff. But I won't tell him.

And for me, I have reinvested in my good old ear plugs. My new ones I mean. The ones I had to go buy again now that my snoring man is back.

It feels like we're newlyweds again.

But I don't mind.

No comments: