For a kid whose never really been sick before, it wasn't clear to me that this is what it was.
His eyes were greyish, reddish and they looked tired. But that made sense though, because it was bedtime.
But grey? I don't know.
Plus he was in great spirits. Well sort of. Aside from the occasional whine. But that made sense too, because his two bottom and two top teeth were finally making their debut.
Just to be sure I called Mr. Yardbird to say that I was thinking maybe Ham looked sick and I was going to snap a picture real fast and send it to him to see what he thought about it.
And this is what I snapped.
Needless to say it made me sound not very believable.
With a towel in hand, I scooped him into my arms and started drying him off. His little body started shivering.
And the thing is, he never shivers when he gets out the bath so I was certain there was something up.
I grabbed the ear thermometer, that I don't even know how to use and pressed the bottom near Henry's ear - 102.
So I was right, a fever.
But that wasn't all.
That night and the nights that followed Ham woke up every few hours screaming in gut wrenching pain.
After a trip to the E.R. and the doctor, we had it all figured out...Salmonella Poisoning.
This explained the pain in his stomach, the blood in the you know what and the fever.
It would have been manageable, maybe if I didn't have a 17 pages left to write of my assessment, a 30 minute speech to give and final paper all due that week, oh, and deadlines for applications.
All with a boy, who bless his heart, wanted nothing more than to cling to his mom when the pain hit him.
I was in sleep deprivation mode trying to finish up the semester and taking care of my sick Ham.
It would have been impossible, but...
our moms saved the day.
Ma Ma B and Maw Maw took shifts. They cooked, they cleaned and they offered support like only moms can.
Ma Ma B and I discovered what a great de-stresser the series Downton Abbey was....well when we could actually hear what was going on.
And somehow my mom made the best homemade chicken noodle soup out of the things I already had in my kitchen. Who knew?
And slowly but surely Ham went from looking like this.....
To this......
To this....
And finally to this....
Thanks God for moms!








No comments:
Post a Comment