Tuesday, January 29, 2013

It's not so bad.....

To give you the brief rundown since the last time I posted, things have been looking up for me in the 5th grade.

It took a few days after Christmas for the students to realize that I wasn't going anywhere. And to be honest, it took about the same amount of time for me to realize I wasn't going anywhere either. Even if I thought about it on a regular basis in those first few weeks.

Somehow after Christmas, everything came together. The students grew to genuinely  like me and vice versa. Now I don't get that horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach when I go to school and no one stands on their desk and throws pencils at me when I turn my back.

Now, the kids bring me thin mint chocolates and one student wrote a letter actually telling me I was her favorite teacher that she had ever had. I thought about framing it. But instead, I tucked in a safe spot to take out and re-read on a rotten day.

They even rolled their eyes and huffed and puffed when I told them I had to have a subsitute come in for half a day so I could sign paperwork. Because, they told me, they would rather I was with them. I couldn't believe my ears.

Maybe time was all that was needed. At any rate, I'm glad I stuck with it.


No comments: