Friday, January 4, 2013

Choo-Choo.

Ralph, Eor, Jerry, Scout, Copper and Todd.

These were all of Ham's potential buddies.

Some kids have blankies or lovies. Some have that special stuffed animal they lug around everywhere.

But not Ham.

We tried and I'm not even sure why we tried so hard to make him that kind of friend.

I think we thought it would ease transitions.

A new start at daycare, we packed Jerry.

Long road trips, we brought Scout.

Bedtime pals that Ham could read to, well Copper and Todd were his right hand dog and fox.

There was even a point when an unnamed stuffed animal squirrel made such an impression on Ham he wouldn't eat his dinner without it tucked behind him.

But low and behold Ham finally figured out which bedtime friend he could not make it without. I thought for a moment it might be one of his cars, the small plastic cars he asks me to put in his bed every night.


No, apparently nothing compares to "Choo Choo", Ham's train.

For the past few nights, Ham's love for Choo Choo makes it nearly impossible to rock him to sleep, because the rocker barely has room for the two of us anymore. There's definitely not room for the three of us, Choo. And as much as I love our rocks together, my arms and face are not into being Choo's railroad tracks. I told Ham it's either me or Choo and I watched his knuckles turn white as he tightened his grip on it.

And last night, when he woke up screaming for who knows what reason and I rushed to his side. He didn't say "Mommy, hold me", he said "Where's Choo?". And I reluctantly put the same Choo back that I snuck out of his crib the moment his eyes shut. He lowered himself back down onto the mattress and wrapped his arm around Choo pulling him tightly to his side. I can't see how that's comfortable, but who am I to judge?


And Choo went with us as we left this morning. Here he is mid "Choo".



And Choo takes part in his "terrible two" activities such as climbing on the table.

Maybe it's just a phase or maybe Choo's his new sidekick.

No comments: