Ham and I have been working on colors and counting this summer. I know there are baby Einsteins out there that have their colors and shapes memorized and can count to two thousand and twenty but that's not really what we're striving for over here.
Mostly, I save our lessons in counting for when I'm angry. It usually starts off with " Ham, I'm going to count ten and you better.....___________" And then I fill in the blank with whatever is necessary at the time, such as drop that permanent marker you are using to draw circles on our couch, smearing your yogurt into your hair, the chair, and the kitchen table, and my favorite stop trying to drill a hole into our cat's back with your play drill.
And over time Ham caught on and when I counted he started to finished with the ending numbers.
Eventually he counted for everything - jumping into the pool, to himself when we were driving and down the steps at his Maw Maw's house. But, it wasn't always fluid. Sometimes it would sound something like 1, 7, 3, 10.
This happened so often that I started doing the same thing - in public.
For example, in my haste to try on clothes in the changing room I told the store worker I had 6 clothes to try on. "See," I said, as I flipped through the outfits, "1, 2, 7, 6." The woman looked at me like I was nuts for a minute. And the only thing I thought to say was "That's how my toddler does it." She burst into the laughter and said her toddler does the same thing. "1, 3, 2, 9!" she said laughing, as I walked back to the changing room a little mortified.
And as for colors, every now and then, when he feels like it, he will tell you the right color for whatever it is you point to. However, some how or another, he has decided to create a new color called "blue-pink".
He's sees this color everywhere. "That's blue-pink!" he'll say and point into the air. And I look all around for it, but I don't know which one it is. And when he asks for a popsicle, he asks for the "blue-pink" one. This is always a dilemma because I don't have either blue or pink, so I hand him a purple one. He doesn't ever correct me though, which I think is pretty thoughtful since he seems to know exactly what it looks like.


No comments:
Post a Comment