Mr. Yardbird and I decided it was still cool enough outside to walk Ham for his first day of "school".
As we walked him, we talked about all of the things he would be doing there and the new friends he would make just to make it less nerve wracking for him.
We walked up to the door and Ham caught a glimpse of some of the kids sitting in a row down the hallway.
"Friends!" He exclaimed, pointing at the kids. "I got some of them!"
We took him to his classroom and tried to casually slip out so he didn't noticed, but it was impossible.
The look of how can you abandon me was suddenly all over his face.
Then I turned to Mr. Yardbird who had a similar how can we abandon him, let's get him out of here look on his face.
Acting fast, I grabbed Mr.Yardbird and we made a beeline for the door.
"I could have carried him out of there when he looked at me like that." Mr Yardbird later said at lunch.
In my mind I could picture him throwing Ham over his back and running out of there like it was the apocalypse.
Then I realize we're those crazy parents we never thought we would be.
The next day, Ham ran through the Mother's Day Out door and never looked back to wave goodbye
And us? Well, we adjusted too.
No comments:
Post a Comment