My cousin, Sally, has been painting windows in an old folks home since Thanksgiving and today she recruited Marie and me to paint the remaining windows.
It's been too long since I picked up a paintbrush, so I was really excited about it.
This morning we gathered some painting supplies and headed over there.
When we got there, I immediately recognized the main room. I came here to play Bingo with the our school's mission club. It is here that I learned two important things. One was that I love, and I mean LOVE Bingo and the other is that I love Angel Food Cake. For some reason everytime we played Bingo, we almost always shared angel food cake with our elderly friends. And it was awesome.
Anyway Marie and I set to work on three large windows and Sally worked on a window on the other side of us.
And as I painted the windows, I started to notice that I had an audience. I also noticed a lot over things. Call me an easedropper, but this is what I found out.
1) Someone had the nerve to sneak into the nurses station and steal a grill cheese sandwich.
2) The best bet for dinner tonight is the chicken salad sandwich.
3) Bingo started at 3 o clock.
And as we painted and painted.......
And painted....
I realized that I may have some competition.
"Oh, I can do that!" a woman screamed at me. I was crouching on the floor painting some leaves and I glanced up to see who it was. This woman wheeled her wheelchair right next to me. She looked me square in the face. "I can do that."
"You can?" I smiled at her. "Well than sure! We need your help."
She laughed a big old laugh. "Hah! I was just kiddin with ya." And off she went.
And then a little while later. A man came wheeling around the corner.
"I sure hope it rains tomorrow.....I just sure hope it rains....I just love rain. I just love the rain. I just LOVE it when it rains."
I chuckled. "So you love the rain?"
"I do. I just love it."
And then he sang me a song about it. About loving the rain. And when his song came to an end he sang "I love the rain..........like I love maaaaaaaaash potaaaaaatooooos."
I had to bite my lip so I wouldn't laugh, because it was a good song and that is some serious love of rain.
And pretty soon I was hungry and with some change Sally gave me I headed down the hall to the vending machine.
"Could you wheel me to room 23"
Sure I said and I dropped Jane off at her room.
As soon as I dropped her off I was spotted by someone else. "Could you take me to my room?" By the time I got to the vending machine I had wheeled four people. And on the way back I picked up someone to take to the lunch room.
As we wheeled down the hall, whoever I had was worried about how everyone else was doing. They would turn to their friends and say "Are comfortable?" "Do you need anything?"
And sometimes they would be plain aggravated with each other. At one point a man wheeled over to me and almost wheeled through me as I was painting. A woman from our audience screamed "Backwards!" to this man. She looked at me and said "Forwards and Backwards - that's all he understands". And sure enough he backed up and moved right along.
Before we knew it, we had filled the windows with bright flowers and it was time to call it a day. And I was a little sad because Bingo would be starting soon for my new friends and where there's Bingo, there's almost always Angel Food Cake.
No comments:
Post a Comment