Friday, January 13, 2012

How I Met Mr. Yardbird - Part 2

Dear 18+ year old Hammy,

Yes, I had almost given up on finding the right guy all together or at least decided it was time to take a break from it. That is until I saw your dad.

I was working a weekend night in the first weekend I had been back since Christmas. We were just starting to get busy. Usually we had a few regulars that came in between four and seven pm and by seven people slowly started coming in groups to claim a table inside. Especially if it was cold outside, which it was.

There was a one man band that night. A guy by the name of Steve. Steve, was one of the nicest people you ever met. He was an older guy who played the guitar and sang and was a regular part of the bar's line up. His style of music reminded me of Blue grass meets James Taylor. He was kind enough to give me a cd of his and whenever I listen to it, there is one song on it that will always give me the same feelings of anxiety and excitement I felt at seven pm when people started filling up the pub. I think it's because it was usually the first song he sat down to play and the intro had a guitar solo that increased in intensity as it went on.

Anyway, there were a few tall tables near the bar that night that were still open and a group of five people quickly snatched one of them up. At first glance it looked like two couples and then a fifth wheel but I only looked for a few seconds. This was my section, so I grabbed my little notebook and pen and walked over to see what they were wanting. At first I didn't even notice your dad. He was on my right side and I had started with the people on my left. I glanced at each person and I scribbled down their order. When I got to your dad, I looked up from my notebook and looked him right in the eyes.

Mr Yardbird
Ham, there are lots of different things that people say about the moment when you meet the person you are supposed to be with. They say that there are instant fireworks or that cupid strikes you with his arrow. Well, for me, I thought I was looking at someone I already knew. Literally. I kept thinking he looked so familiar. He was kind of tan and had longer hair with blondish streaks throughout it. I remember contemplating in those few seconds whether his hair was really blond or if it had been highlighted. But looking at him, I realized he wasn't the type to highlight his hair. No, it was real. Definitely real. And his eyes were a nice shade of greyish blue. I was partial to brown eyes, but these, well, these eyes were nice too. And his face well, it was the most handsome, familiar face I had ever seen.

Sorry, Ham. But that's what I saw.

Pretty soon, I realized I was gawking. I could feel my face getting hot and my cheeks were most likely a nice shade of bright pink.

"I said, I'll have a Becks." your dad repeated back to me.

"Huh?" I was flustered.

"Becks."

I turned to walk back to the bar and I felt like a moron. How long had I been standing there? Could they tell that I turned bright red? Did he think I was weird? He only told me his order three times. I turned back to look at your dad. He was cluelessly chatting with the people he came with.

If cupid had struck me with an arrow, I was pretty sure that he forgotten the other important person in this love equation.


1 comment:

Stonebreaker27 said...

pretty sure we were chatting about you.